Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful? Yes, yes I am!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you bloggers out there and those reading our blogs!  This is the time of year when people begin to reflect on what they have instead of what they don't.  This is a unique shift from the normal in our society today, but a great example of what we should attempt to do every single day.  Even though my book tries to retrain the brain to look at the positives and to minimize and survive the negatives, it's good to see society take time out to do the exact same thing.

In my life, I am so thankful for my family...all of them.  From my sisters, dad, cousins, aunts, and uncles still residing in Virginia to my son living in California...we cover the coasts of this great nation.  Then there is my family I married into.  My amazingly special wife, such an incredible step-daughter (rarely is this term used with respect to her though), and the in-laws...each and every one of them are part of my blessings.

And this year, my first full year of civilian life after the military, I have to give thanks to all those friends who also kept me uplifted and encouraged while searching for work.  During that time, Bushels and Barrels was written reminding myself and others whom have read my book to focus on the positive and good things will happen.  This group of people have made an imprint into my life and I am thankful for all of them.  Whether they be in person or through social media, a bond is strengthened when you lift each other up and hold each other in high regard.

For the past two months, I have begun my new journey in my professional world.  I am creating an identity within the company and gaining confidence in my abilities each and every day.  There are still much to learn, but I've learned so much and come so far in such a short period of time.  Having time between careers allowed me to enter this opportunity with hunger, desire, and confidence.  To know each day that my decisions and actions affect the careers of the 20+ people whom directly report to me is such an honor and responsibility.  I take this responsibility seriously and feel good they have accepted me and we work well as a team.  With every team, there can be those challenging individuals, but even they deserve the best I have, whether that be to mold them, assist them in their jouney to another career where they are better suited, or just handling their challenges professionally.  Each day is an opportunity to be a reflection of my motto:  Positive Perspectives Produce Positive People.

As I look over this past year, I am thankful for every day of it.  Count your blessings on the good days.  Learn the lessons given in the bad days.  Both types of days build us into better people.  Learn, improve, strengthen, and most importantly, love.  Have a great day, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment